High Times lists HSU as one of the Top 10 stoner colleges
The latest issue of High Times hit the newsstands Tuesday with its list of the “Top 10 cannabis colleges” and Humboldt State University was one of them.
The inclusion of HSU, given the reputation the county has, wasn’t a surprise, but the ranking of number eight was to some HSU students.
”Wisconsin? Come on, seriously?” doubted Kendra Ross.
But Ross was satisfied with one part of the list.
”Hey, we beat my sister’s school (Wesleyan University) this year,” Ross said.
One student is determined to get a higher ranking in the future.
”We’re taking No. 1 next year,” said Tyler Pearson.
Not all of the students embraced the ranking.
”I’m not surprised, but I don’t want to perpetuate the marijuana stereotype,” said Donavan Clark.
Clark and Nicole Hunt said they’re tired of people insinuating they go to HSU because of the marijuana reputation.
”It gets so annoying,” Hunt said.
Every other school listed has a paragraph explaining why it was on the list, but Humbodlt State only has one short sentence.
”Dude, it’s in (expletive) Humboldt,” the magazine states.
HSU was the only California school and the University of Oregon in Eugene was the only other West Coast school.
The complete list is:
* 10) University of Vermont, Burlington, Vt.
* 9) Wesleyan University, Middeltown, Conn.
* 8) Humboldt State University, Arcata.
* 7) New College of Florida, Sarasota, Fla.
* 6) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
* 5) Hampshire College, South Amherst, Mass.
* 4) University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.
* 3) University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
* 2) University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis.
* 1) University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.