Friday, February 17, 2006

Hoffman Reveals Drug Past

SFGate


"Capote" star Philip Seymour Hoffman nearly fell into a life of substance abuse, after battling a severe alcohol and drug problem early in his career.

The now-sober actor is the favorite to take home the Best Actor Oscar at next month's Academy Awards ceremony, for his performance as legendary author Truman Capote.

The star tells CBS show "60 Minutes," which airs on Sunday, about his descent into substance abuse following his graduation from New York University's drama school.

Hoffman says, "It was all that (drugs and alcohol). It was anything I could get my hands on ... I liked it all.

"You get panicked ... and I got panicked for my life."

The star decided he needed to change his ways and sought treatment for his problem.

He says, "I went (to rehab), I got sober when I was 22 years old."

The actor is grateful that he didn't achieve fame until he had cleaned himself up.

He adds, "I have so much empathy for these young actors that are 19 and all of a sudden they're beautiful and famous and rich.

"I'm like, 'Oh my God, I'd be dead.'"

1 Comments:

Blogger Pannyxeos said...

I kind of hate how vague this article is. Do you think he is being literal when he states ,"It was anything I could get my hands on," or just using hyperbole?

2/17/2006 05:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home